A Winter Morning in the Studio

Unpacking the class set of 3D pens.

Early Sunday mornings will find me cycling to, and making, in the studio.

The phone doesn't ring, and I have the place to myself.

Today was particularly productive and enjoyable.

With a kiln full of porcelain paper clay firing out the back, the pressure was now off for a few days.

Ideas for my demonstration at the US warm up Throw down) for the Symposium in just a months time, came rapidly and fluidly.

The winter sun shone in through the window, as I looked out at the green park around the studio.

Munching home made cake from the Friday class, I checked the size restrictions on the Argentinean exhibition, and dashed off an email seeking a variation of conditions (assuming the currently firing is successful, and the assemble work, works).

Student works demanded my attention, so I carried their work around to the kiln room.  I loaded up the kiln, did some quick calculations, then left it ready for me to plug into the computer after the other firing finishes, probably on late Monday.

I then checked the conditions for a Japanese exhibition, and then reviewed a short Instagram movie of a prototype I had made in the residency at Perth College.  Based on this and ideas floating around me for the last week, I jotted down some notes and made a quick drawing for my next version of the spiral.

A quick phone call to organise a walk later this morning, I now had time to unpack 5 boxes that had been sitting unopened in the studio for the last week.  These were a class set of 3Doodlers for an upcoming workshop.  I bought my first 3Doodler on Kickstart back in early 2013.  It was unproven technology, and I gambled a hundred bucks on the guys who developed it in a shed.

I first blogged a comparison between the 3D printer I had been hacking and the 3Doodler 3D printing pen in December 2013.  The 3D pen was a 3D printing head redesigned as a pen you drew in the air.  No computer coding, or computer needed, and so much fun.

Unpacking a set of the second edition of the pen was a bit like Christmas.  All shiny and new and plug and play.

Alas, time ran out, so I packed it all away again, except for one pen and material I left out on the desk ready for early Monday morning.

A quick photo to try to capture the morning.

Then climb on the bike, and back up the hill in the sunlight...


Popular posts from this blog

Money for nothing, and the chicks for free.... huh?

2019 Venice Biennale: Transparency does not make a bigger eye of a needle.

Florence's living artists (this week only) :)